Dena’s Boutique

Dena’s Boutique was launched by owner Dena Tayler bringing fashion to the Fraser Valley and the first women’s clothing store to open in Walnut Grove. She sought to bring something different to women in the Fraser Valley, focusing on designs with a timeless quality to them, but feature something just a little unexpected. Dena’s  builds a relationship with their customers and gets to know each one individually so they are better able to help you choose the perfect clothing for your lifestyle. Dena’s knows that when a woman feels great she is confident and exudes a certain spark that lights up a room.

Dena had an impressive career in retail fashion working with major retailers like Holt Renfew, Alfred Sung and Jacqueline Conoir, and taught merchandising teacher at John Casablanca’s, before starting Dena’s Boutique. Dena is passionate about caring for her customers, and using clothes to make the difference in women’s self confidence. She says “clothes are an important part of how you greet the day, and how the day greets you.” The store stocks an impressive number of local brands from right here in British Columbia.

Question: How are you supporting other local businesses?

Answer: We stock Canadian products and local designers whenever we can. About 15 % of our inventory are products made in British Columbia – some of our clothing and some of our jewelry. A further 15% are Canadian brands – so overall we have about 30% of our inventory that’s local.

One of our biggest brands is Sympli wardrobe staples with a flattering fit manufactured in Burnaby B.C. and through a home sewing network community of entrepreneurs who work on their schedule to sew approximately 85% of the garments while still caring for their families. We also stock Gilmour Clothing which is also locally designed and made. We represent Cecile Benac knitwear, made in B.C. with natural fibres. Most of her pieces are hand-knit. We also stock Marianne Greaves Art to Wear line, one of a kind designs in sustainable fabrics that are cut, dyed, sewn and finished by her in Vancouver. We love NoMiNoU Altheisure – locally made activewear featuring original Indigenous artwork created by the late mother of the company’s founder and by international artists they collaborate with. We represent some local jewelry designers too – Tanis Jewellry Designs from Vancouver Island who works with crystals, pearls and gemstones, and Carolily Finery, a high end jewelry brand, specializing in statement jewelry and accessories handcrafted in the Okanagan. We also stock some of the fun, edgy pieces from Rock N Karma from Toronto. They’re a great brand and they even mill their own fabrics.

We also purchase many of the services our business needs from local businesses. Our bookkeeper and accountant are small, local entrepreneurs, and we get our business insurance from Schill Insurance based in Surrey. We support at least one Canadian company too – we buy our bags from a business in Winnipeg.

Question: What social and environmental practices are you proud of?

Answer: We’re proud to support several local charitable causes every year. Sometimes we provide a cash sponsorship and sometimes we donate product in-kind.

Follow on Instagram: